The Complete Adam & Joe Radio Show Reference List

All Adam and Joe related posts go in here

Re: The Complete Adam & Joe Radio Show Reference List

Postby namesinspace » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:05am

Welcome Jon. You seem quite nice.

Fansites thrive on community and many people have pulled together over the years to make this material accessible. We're all indebted to them.
namesinspace
Site Admin

Postby QuiteNiceJon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:09am

Nice to be here.
Although I hate to be in any way a Negative Norman about such a wonderful and life affirming collection of stuff, I've noticed a couple of problems with a few of the files that you may want to know about.
Feel free to ignore the following...
Eleven of the full shows (8 XFMs and 3 BBC 2008s) were really tricky in iTunes, i.e. they were so slow in transferring to the iPod that I gave up. My guess is a weird bit-rate on these particular mp3 files (134kbps? or something) that needs converting but I could be wrong.
The shows were...
XFM 2003.08.30
XFM 2003.09.20
XFM 2003.10.04
XFM 2004.10.23
XFM 2005.01.29
XFM 2005.02.05
XFM 2005.02.19
XFM 2005.03.05
BBC 2008.02.09
BBC 2008.09.20
BBC 2008.10.04
Also, I struggled a bit downloading some of the 'BBC 6Music Podcasts - 2008'. Ten out of the first 30 shared files came up as 'The file link that you requested is not valid.' I didn't persist beyond #33 but I can go through them all and report back if that's useful to anyone.
The missing ones I did spot were...
8, 9, 10, 13, 18, 23, 25, 26, 29, 30
I hope that's useful.
I will definitely go back for the missing ones if they become available but I'm really not complaining...
I still feel like Indiana Jones must feel whenever he discovers one of those wonderful artefacts in those films that he makes.
All the best,
Jon
QuiteNiceJon

Postby QuiteNiceJon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:49pm

I meant to add...
I'm very happy to help sorting glitches, rather than simply pointing them out, but...
I've never uploaded a file to a sharing site and I wouldn't know how to edit or create a link to one neither.
Let me know if me and my 1958 Morris eMac (or 'Betsy' as we like to call her) can be of any use in this great Adam and Joe Labour of Love (LoL?).
Jon
QuiteNiceJon

Postby namesinspace » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:10pm

Hi Jon - thanks for your input. It's really helpful to have feedback like this because it would take so long to test every file.

So far as the podcasts are concerned. The links work for me and have been downloaded by several people so I can only assume it was a traffic issue at the time you tried. I have had other people mention this and then find they work later.

I can see the files you found slow to transfer are indeed at odd bit rates like 134 and 160. I'll try to get around to uploading my versions which are all at 128bps. It's just a matter of finding the time :roll: I presume you mean you're downloading the files to your hard drive first and then transferring them to your pod via iTunes.

Please let us know of any other problems and could you answer something for me? Why do all Morris Minor owners call their cars Betsy? :D
namesinspace
Site Admin

Postby QuiteNiceJon » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:59am

You presume right: Download > Hard Drive > iTunes > iPod > HiFi > Ears > Brain.
I'll have a few more goes with the podcasts - I'll report back if the same numbers fail again.

As far as calling Morris Minors 'Betsy' goes... Well I suppose it just sounds better than 'Keith' or 'Stewart' or 'Geoff'.
I think 'Betsy' conjures up notions of a quiet, reliable, inoffensive, undemanding kind of character... who also performs well at top-end speeds and has minimal signs of rust on the bodywork. [That last bit was in a Jeremy Clarkhole voice.]
We actually have a Volkswagen Polo which we lovingly call 'The Car'.
QuiteNiceJon

Postby About Last Friday » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:40am

QuiteNiceJon: Sorry to see that some of my files are behaving problematically! I would be cheeky and say "stop using iTunes", but I suspect that would be rude. They're all sourced from that mega torrent put together by that nice chap from a year or two back, so I suspect some may be VBR.

nameinspace: Interesting that yours are all at 128kbps. Are they are sourced from the same files? If they are, and you've transcoded them to 128kbps, can your rips be added as mirrors? These radio rips are already hugely lossy and artifact ridden, and I wouldn't want the main downloads being files that have gone through another go in the "audio wringer", as it were.

Okay, silly audiophile snob rant over. Oh, and also, as to your PM on this subject, I'll compile a list of the bitrates for this thread and the XFM on Thursday. Sound okay?
About Last Friday

Postby namesinspace » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:06pm

Hey there About Last Friday,

I think I just made all my files uniform at 128bps so that my archive discs would look tidy :) ...so yeah, I've subjected them to an audio wringer, for my sins. :?

I have uploaded all those ones that Jon found tricky but not changed the links yet. iTunes works a dream for me as a vehicle to get stuff onto my pod but it was designed for my hardware :D :lol: :D :lol:

As you'll notice (and this is really an answer to your comment on your other glorious thread) I've been using 4Shared because it's a more permanent resting place where things don't drop off. I guess it will go the way of Humyo eventually but until then, it feels like a good home.

...and lest you have forgotten, your incredible deductive skills and librarian contributions remain the stuff of wonder and admiration to me.
namesinspace
Site Admin

Postby QuiteNiceJon » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:42pm

I did some more downloading today (smiley face here)
The eleven podcast links (8/9/10/13/18/23/25/26/29/30) still come up as invalid at the fifth attempt on different days at different times.
So, I attempted my first torrent using the link for 'get all files in this folder' on the 4shared site which worked well enough although #64 and #65 were missing and had to be got individually through the Reference List Links.
The podcast list looks sequentially OK apart from there being no #104 or #67-80 in both the List and in the 4shared folder, so it's probably the numbers that are wrong rather than 15 actual missing pod-shows.
So I'm guessing all the files are there somewhere, mostly in one folder, it's just that some of the links in the Reference List are not finding the files.
If you'd like me to check through the individual BBC podcast links beyond #33 then let me know.
(probably another smiley face here - ed.)
QuiteNiceJon

Postby namesinspace » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:53pm

Hey Jon.
The missing ones are a mystery but you are right about the incorrect numbering. I'm not sure how that happened. I never really think about the number. I just use dates and titles so I've never really noticed.

With the ones that don't work, at what point are they failing?

You've done enough already and it's much appreciated. I'll try to work out what has happened.
namesinspace
Site Admin

Postby QuiteNiceJon » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:57am

The 'invalid' podcasts links...
E.g. The '2008-03-08 - Lost In Pastry' link gets me to the normal specific 4shared file page with, amongst other things, the file name, adamandjoe__#08lost_in_pastry_8_march_08, in large blue type above the mp3 (play) 2"high x 6"wide speaker image with a dark blue 'Download Now' button below on the left.
Clicking the 'Download Now' takes me to a much simpler, shorter page with the message 'The file link that you requested is not valid' with a few other standard 4shared links but nothing mentioning the file name.
With all the working links clicking 'Download Now' takes me to the 20-second countdown (for free users) and then a couple more clicks and done.
QuiteNiceJon

PreviousNext

Return to Black Squadron