Film

Chat about anything non-Adam and Joe related in here

Film

Postby Fruttelop » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:29pm

I know that Adam and Joe have a reasonable enthusiasm for films, and so do I (what a coincidence). On that rather thin basis I did-a-think and would like to open a topic related to film. Any films that you'd reccommend. Any Adam & Joe comments about film that tickled you. Or anything else related to films would be great.
Fruttelop

Re: Film

Postby benjula » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:09pm

IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP IN THE LOOP
benjula
Black Squadron

Postby The Saltman » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:36pm

Benjula's being a bit cryptic there. I'd recommend In The Loop, the film version of the swear-tacular The Thick Of It.
The Saltman

Postby jakasembung » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:22pm

A while back Joe recommended Let The Right One In on the show. It's out now and having seen it I can confirm Joe was right. It's excellent.
jakasembung

Postby hobbsy » Fri May 01, 2009 12:30am

jakasembung wrote:A while back Joe recommended Let The Right One In on the show. It's out now and having seen it I can confirm Joe was right. It's excellent.

I can't watch horror films. I didn't desensitive myself from an early age, so now I purposely avoid anything in the horror genre. lol
hobbsy
Site Admin

Postby marktobias » Fri May 01, 2009 7:54am

I highly recommend all Guy Ritchie films.
marktobias

Postby Fruttelop » Fri May 01, 2009 9:43am

hobbsy wrote:
jakasembung wrote:A while back Joe recommended Let The Right One In on the show. It's out now and having seen it I can confirm Joe was right. It's excellent.

I can't watch horror films. I didn't desensitive myself from an early age, so now I purposely avoid anything in the horror genre. lol

Please don't let that put you off Let The Right One In, it's more about friendship than scares.
Fruttelop

Postby Retinend » Fri May 01, 2009 8:55pm

Charlie Brooker and Joe mentioning NETWORK got me to watch it. It's now my favourite film of all time.

Also, LIFEFORCE, mentioned a couple of times by Joe nostalgically, IS very fun to watch (as is that girl)

The Kevin Kostner film DAVE about the everyman who becomes president was on TV recently and, as Adam says, is a proper underrated pleasure

I agree with Joe that FLASH GORDON is one of the best films ever made

Apart from A&J related ones, my other favourite films are:

SILENT RUNNING (moving and a fantastic performance by Bruce Dern)
THE ADVENTURES OF BARON MUNCHAUSEN (what 'fantasy' meant before LOTR)
THE THING (best looking effects in film, incredibly suspenseful, JC's best film)
BARRY LYNDON (Kubrick's best and least seen film. complex and moving)

I love how A&J are so movie literate, if that's not a complete paradox. You really don't have many people in the British media who talk passionately about relatively obscure, older films, and aren't total bores like Quiffy McBlockface.
Retinend
Black Squadron

Postby benjula » Fri May 01, 2009 9:04pm

i think i'm movie illiterate then, i must have a short attention span because i dont tend to watch a film unless i really know i'm going to like it, i think that's why i love sit-coms/comedy in general, much shorter. Also agreed that network is amazing, got sick of being reccomended it so i finally gave in and watched it a few years back, is still one of my favourites, i like a few old steve martin films i guess, most of that is good...
benjula
Black Squadron

Postby Fruttelop » Fri May 01, 2009 11:38pm

Here's an extract from Joe's blog concerning a request for Horror recommendations:

"Q: Dear Joe, I'm a college student with too much free time on her hands. My friends and I are going through as many horror films as we can before Halloween. Do you know of any truly scary movies? Because it's been let down after let down for us. Suggestions would be great. Sara

A: Ooops, bit late on this one, sorry Sara. My favorite obscure scary films would have to be: 'Uzumaki' (The Spiral) a strange but brilliant Japanese concoction, 'Ils' aka 'Them', the recent French horror (but make sure you don't so much as read the back cover before you watch it). 'Dorm' is a pretty good and scary Thai ghost movie that Tartan recently released on DVD. As far as American stuff goes, everything that's good is pretty well known. But I always think Adrian Lyne's 'Jacob's Ladder' is a really genuinely scary, massively underrated horror-type film. And I keep meeting people who've never heard of it. Maybe I'm mixing with the wrong crowd."
Fruttelop

Next

Return to The Idiot Hole