Each Passing Minute

All Adam and Joe related posts go in here

Re: Each Passing Minute

Postby onthinice » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:41pm

Unicorn! wrote:
Just wondering about this broken Harddrive, what exactly is the issue with it? Is it a physical issue like not receiving power or a data issue like corrupted files? Can we get some more info as it may be fixable. :)

To be honest I dont know, he just kept describing it as "dead" so it's anyone's guess as to the exact problem with it. It's a pity we didn't have any tech savvy people here who could help him. Wish I wasn't so useless at all that type of stuff myself. It's a shame really cos I don't think we'll ever know now. Don't think he's been back to the forum since he put up those 3 episodes. I don't really fancy going to his youtube channel and pestering him again myself. I figure that'd just piss him off. Suppose we should just be greatful for the 3 we got. It is annoying though; we were so close to a complete set only to have our hopes dashed.
onthinice
Black Squadron

Postby Unicorn! » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:33pm

onthinice wrote:
Unicorn! wrote:
Just wondering about this broken Harddrive, what exactly is the issue with it? Is it a physical issue like not receiving power or a data issue like corrupted files? Can we get some more info as it may be fixable. :)

To be honest I dont know, he just kept describing it as "dead" so it's anyone's guess as to the exact problem with it. It's a pity we didn't have any tech savvy people here who could help him. Wish I wasn't so useless at all that type of stuff myself. It's a shame really cos I don't think we'll ever know now. Don't think he's been back to the forum since he put up those 3 episodes. I don't really fancy going to his youtube channel and pestering him again myself. I figure that'd just piss him off. Suppose we should just be greatful for the 3 we got. It is annoying though; we were so close to a complete set only to have our hopes dashed.

If I knew more about the issue then I may be able to help. If it's due to corrupt files then there's a few applications which can restore files. A physical issue is a bit harder to fix so probably the easiest way to fix would be to find an exact same Harddrive and swap the circuit board over. Unfortunately it's not normally easy to find another harddrive which is exactly the same.
Unicorn!

Postby onthinice » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:33pm

Looking back over his posts in this thread he said this
benjamin308 wrote:My hard drive is way beyond software to fix it. I've tried it in different cases/power supplies and all sorts. It's something that needs professional attention. Help sought!

So I'd imagine it's a physical issue. By the sounds of it, it needs to have the platters swaped out in a clean room. But again, I'm just guessing here. Seems futile even discussing it now. It's not like he's around anyway. The whole situation is just depressing.
onthinice
Black Squadron

Postby Unicorn! » Sun May 02, 2010 6:21pm

Ahh well that's a shame :(

Anyway, here's the edit for 2004.10.02 just to cheer you up:

http://rapidshare.com/files/382735759/A ... dited_.mp3
* Edited version has music (except Ditties in the Dock) and trails removed.
Unicorn!

Postby onthinice » Sun May 02, 2010 11:43pm

Cheers for the next edit Unicorn! , downloading it now. I shouldn't be so melodramatic about those xfm episodes anyway it's not the end of the world.

Although I suppose if you feel you might be able to offer him some advice about repair there would be no harm in going over to his youtube channel and send him a PM asking him some specifics about the harddrive. You seem to have some knowledge of these things. I'm such a noob that I'm no use to him. This is his youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/benjamin308 . I mean he DID say he wanted some help/advice repairing it! And maybe the fact that none of us offered any assistance just made him think that we weren't that bothered. I suppose there's no harm in trying (if you want, obviously).
onthinice
Black Squadron

Postby Unicorn! » Mon May 03, 2010 9:49am

I chucked him a message so I'll see what he says.

Last one:, edit for 2004.11.20:

http://rapidshare.com/files/382962548/A ... dited_.mp3
* Edited version has music (except Ditties in the Dock) and trails removed.
Unicorn!

Postby onthinice » Mon May 03, 2010 12:54pm

Unicorn! wrote:I chucked him a message so I'll see what he says.

Cool. fingers crossed so. Thanks again for the edits
onthinice
Black Squadron

Postby benjula » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:07am

any news?
benjula
Black Squadron

Postby Unicorn! » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:58am

Received a message from him just the other day although I haven't messaged him back yet. He told me that the drive isn't spinning at all when is all plugged in, so the only way I can think of fixing it is finding an identical drive with the same firmware version and swapping the circuit board over. Problem is it's not too hard finding an identical drive, but finding one with the same firmware can be really difficult. On top of this there's still the cost of buying the other drive even if you find one.

I'll see if he can give me the drive details then we can all check the harddrives we own and see if by pure chance any of us have a match we don't mind donating.
Unicorn!

Previous

Return to Black Squadron