Joe Cornish to direct "Section 6"

All Adam and Joe related posts go in here

Joe Cornish to direct "Section 6"

Postby namesinspace » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:37am

Now, I know we've heard several rumours of other project he's being considered for and even two films he was confirmed as being attached to (one of which he pulled out of and one which remains a hopeful mystery), but here's the next bit of seemingly concrete news and I'd like to believe it's got real, long, lanky legs.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/joe-c ... 201138418/

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=40489

First breaking here.

The director of “Attack the Block” and co-writer of “Ant-Man” hopes to launch a franchise with the film

Joe Cornish has found his follow-up to “Attack the Block,” as he's signing on to direct Jack O'Connell (“Unbroken”) in Universal's franchise hopeful “Section 6,” multiple individuals familiar with the project have told TheWrap.

The historical spy thriller follows the World War I-era formation of British intelligence agency MI6 and its first director, Sir George Mansfield Cummings, who served as the inspiration for M in the “James Bond” series.

Several A-listers have expressed interest in playing Cummings, while O'Connell is expected to play a promising young protege.

Also read: ‘Unbroken’ Star Jack O'Connell to Play MI6 Agent in Universal's ‘Section 6' (Exclusive)

Universal acquired Aaron Berg's red-hot spec script in a spirited bidding war back in October. The studio beat Sony for the project because it included progress-to-production language in its offer to separate itself from the rest of the herd.

Not only does Universal think “Section 6” has the potential to launch a hit franchise, but the studio believes in rising star O'Connell, whose performance as Louis Zamperini in Angelina Jolie's “Unbroken” is expected to garner awards buzz.

Lawrence Grey, who developed the script with Berg, will produce via his Grey Matter Productions along with Marc Platt and Adam Siegel of Marc Platt Productions. Nira Park (“Attack the Block”) has also boarded the project and will produce through her Big Talk Pictures banner.

Also read: Universal Wins Heated $1.2 Million Bidding War for Spy Spec Script ‘Section 6'

Universal's Jeff Kirschenbaum was instrumental in making the deal for “Section 6,” and the studio's executives Jon Mone and Sara Scott will oversee the project for Universal.

Cornish had been eyed to direct “Star Trek 3,” but one industry insider told TheWrap that the selective filmmaker preferred to wait until the right project presented itself, and he found the idea of launching a potential franchise in “Section 6” very appealing.

Cornish, who co-wrote Marvel's “Ant-Man” and Steven Spielberg's “The Adventures of Tintin,” earned rave reviews for his feature debut “Attack the Block,” whose leading man John Boyega is reportedly in the mix for “Star Wars: Episode VII.” He's repped by CAA, Independent Talent Group and attorney George Davis.
namesinspace
Site Admin

Re: Joe Cornish to direct "Section 6"

Postby onthinice » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:48pm

Great news. Hopefully this one happens for him. What's the other film that you mentioned that he still might be doing? I can't remember.
onthinice
Black Squadron

Postby namesinspace » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:44pm

Neal Stephenson's "Snow Crash" via Kathleen Kennedy (Dreamworks/Mr Spielberg).
namesinspace
Site Admin

Postby onthinice » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:38pm

Ah that's the one! Thanks for the reminder. My brain was stuck somewhere on "Snow-Storm Bringer/Breaker" and I couldn't remember the real title.
onthinice
Black Squadron

Postby namesinspace » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:52am

"MGM, James Bond Producers Sue Universal Over ‘Section 6′ Project"

The screenplay for the project states that it is premised on historical facts, the lawsuit states, but MGM and Danjaq claim that the “core elements are fictional.” It also contends that even though U asserted that the project is a historical account of the formation of MI6 immediately after World War I, “the dialog and relationships between the characters are strikingly out of place and years ahead of their time for a story set in 1918.”

The suit contends that “Section 6″ “imbue their James Bond knockoff with a ‘license to kill,’ employment by “Her Majesty’s Secret Service,” and a 00 agent number. All are creations of Ian Fleming, MGM argues.

MGM and Danjaq are seeking an injunction to prevent Universal from what they claim is an infringement on the Bond works.

A spokeswoman for Universal did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/mgm-s ... 201152800/

So time for a quick radio series while they sort this out ............
namesinspace
Site Admin

Postby namesinspace » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:32pm

Some news on the lawsuit. Fingers crossed that Joe is well into pre-production by now.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/james-bond- ... 201343104/
namesinspace
Site Admin

Return to Black Squadron